Healthy cheat meal plan: Dos and don’t of eating on the weekend to achieve a flat belly  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- A weight loss diet requires you to eat clean and healthily
- Cheat meals are a common part of any modern-day weight loss diet
- Here are some dos and don’ts of a weight loss diet that you must follow to ensure sustainable weight loss
New Delhi: Weekends, especially Sundays, are not just special because it gives you time off school, college, or work, but also because considering it is a day to have fun, and relieve stress, you are also allowed to cheat on your diet. Most diets that people follow to stay healthy, fit, or even to lose weight, allow a little cheating on the weekend, and you are allowed to have your favourite foods at this time, irrespective of how unhealthy, sugary, or unfit for weight loss they may be.
However, for some of us, cheat days can mean excessive binge, undoing all the benefits of the diet we follow throughout the week. Even as you practice a healthy diet, and cheat on weekends, there are some dos and don’ts you should follow.
Dos and don’ts of cheating on your diet to maintain a healthy weight
- Do not go overboard – Remember that your diet allows a cheat meal, and not a cheat day, week, or month. Consistency with your diet is extremely important if you are trying to lose, or maintain your weight.
- Make healthy lifestyle a choice – While it is okay to indulge in a cheat meal every once in a while, remember the real reason why you began the diet in the first place. It is not about achieving a certain mark on the weighing scale, but about being healthy in general. Keep your goals in mind and eat accordingly.
- Do listen to your cravings – During the cheat meal, indulge in the cravings and foods you have been wanting all week. This will ensure your cravings are satisfied, and you do not feel them in the coming week as well and are able to sustain your diet.
- Do not go into your cheat meal starving – This is something a lot of people do. When they know they have a cheat meal to look forward to, they do not eat for hours. This leads to over-eating the mostly unhealthy food, that can undo the effects of the diet. It is important to eat small, light meals as you approach your cheat meal.
- Do not feel guilty – While it is important to be mindful of what you eat, you should not make yourself feel guilty on your cheat days, or for consuming your cheat meal. It is one of the ways to sustain your diet and live a healthy, happy life.
The bottom line is that neither one meal can make you fat, nor can one healthy meal make you lose weight. It is important to follow a healthy lifestyle, eat a balanced diet, and include some exercise in your routine to stay healthy and fit.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.