5 versatile ways you can include the nutritional superfood cottage cheese or paneer in your diet | Photo Credits: Canva
- A vegetarian diet can often be looked at as lacking nutrients that are obtained from animal-based sources
- However, certain vegetarian foods such as paneer are very rich in nutritional values
- Here is all you need to know about the nutrient content of paneer, and how you can use the superfood in your diet
New Delhi: A lot of research and anecdotal evidence states that a vegetarian diet is one of the best diets to follow for a happy and healthy life. It is also considered favourable for the environment, as it helps preserve animal life. However, many people, who even consider the prospect of turning vegetarian are often faced with the question that there are so many nutrients that do not have enough plant-based sources, which can lead to deficiencies and diseases.
However, for all such worries, a vegetarian diet has certain superfoods, that are super-rich in nutrients. One such superfood is the extremely versatile, tasty, and every vegetarian’s delight – Paneer or Cottage Cheese.
Nutritional benefits of Cottage Cheese or Paneer
If you look at a balanced diet for weight loss or even overall health, you will find that paneer is a huge part of any such meal plan. Rich in protein, calcium, and other nutrients, paneer provides for a perfect nutrition-packed food in every meal. Some experts even recommend that you include paneer in some form or the other in all your meals.
One cup of crumbled paneer, which is approximately 122 g of paneer by weight, has the following nutritional values:
|Total fat||29 g|
|Total carbohydrates||3.6 g|
Paneer is rich in healthy fats, and protein, which helps to fill you up and avoid hunger pangs. Protein is one of the most important nutrients in a healthy diet, and paneer is one of the best vegetarian sources of the nutrient.
5 versatile ways to include Paneer in your diet
- Paneer Bhurji – Made with crumbled paneer, onions and tomato, paneer bhurji is a recipe that can be made with less oil and can be enjoyed with rice, roti, or even with a side of salad. If you are looking to lose weight and want a filling, yet light dinner, paneer bhurji is the perfect dish for you.
- Sauteed Paneer – If you are looking for a mid-day snack and do not have the time to make something elaborate, just dice some paneer cubes, roast them on a pan slightly, season it with chilli flakes, and enjoy. This acts as a perfect snack to fill you up and is nutritional at the same time.
- Paneer curry – You can make your favourite gravy and add paneer to it. However, you must ensure that the gravy is not made in too much oil, and does not contain other unhealthy ingredients such as store-bought cream, sugar, etc. You can also add other vegetables like capsicum, or peas, to increase the nutritional value of the dish.
- Paneer sandwiches – Not only is this super easy to make, but it is also extremely yummy. Use multigrain bread that adds more texture and taste to the recipe. Use a thick slice of paneer, add chopped onions on top, season it, and grill the sandwich. This makes for a great evening snack or even breakfast meal.
- As filling – Paneer mixture can be used as a filling for almost anything. You can make a burger patty with paneer, or add it as filling in parathas, rolls, cheelas, dosas, etc.
Paneer has a mild taste and texture on its own. The best part about the food item is that it can change into whatever you want it to be. It works as a great replacement for meat in any dish, not just in terms of taste, but also in terms of nutrients, to a great extent.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a professional healthcare provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.