Workout with a twist: 5 exercises you can do in bed, without even getting up  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Exercise is an important component of a healthy lifestyle
- As we stay indoors during the COVID-19 pandemic, giving a little twist to a workout can make it more fun and sustainable
- Here is how you can workout in bed with these 5 simple exercises
New Delhi: The way we workout has changed significantly and has led us to home-restricted workouts. The absence of exercise has started to show its results – with stiff, painful muscles and weight gain being the first few noticeable byproducts. Including some form of exercise in your routine is very important, but the constant stress and so much work can make it difficult to find the time to sweat it out.
A lot of experts say that the morning is the best time to work out, but who wants to leave their bed in the morning to exercise? No one. In that case, what if we told you there are exercises you can do in bed? No, it is not a joke. Check out five exercises you can do in bed that are likely to help you stay fit, and take on the day with more energy.
5 workout exercises you can do in bed
- Ankle circles – Lie down on your back, and lift your leg up straight. Extend the leg outwards, and make an O, in a clockwise direction, as wide and long as you can, without moving the rest of your body. Now trace the same O for another 10 times, and then repeat anti-clockwise.
- Arm circles – In a similar way as ankle circles, extend your arms outwards and make a big O, in a clockwise direction. Repeat for 20 times, and then change the direction. Continue for another 20 times.
- Alphabet arms and legs – Sounds silly, but this is a difficult exercise to do. You can also include your kids in this exercise to help them wake up fresher. Lie down on your back and raise your legs slightly off the bed. Trace the English alphabet with your big toe. This exercise will help to build your core and your legs. Repeat with your arms, make sure they are raised off the bed.
- Ab bike in bed – A famous exercise for your core is the ab bike, but you can do the same in bed. Lie down on your back, bend your knees and bring your legs closer to the body. Extend your arms upwards, and keep them straight. Now, move one leg outwards, straightening it, but do not rest it on the bed. While bringing it back to the initial position, extend the other leg out. The motion should look as if you are riding a bike. Do this exercise slowly and precisely, and each time you extend your leg out, hold for a second or two to feel the burn in your core.
- Leg raises – Another exercise that engages your core and helps to build lower abs are the leg raises. Lie down on your back. Lift one leg off the bed, only to bring it back down, but do not hit the bed underneath. Take it back up, and bring it down. Do 20 reps, and then repeat with the other leg. You may also alternate between the legs if you find that more comfortable.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a professional healthcare provider if you have any specific questions about any medical matter.
For full coverage on Coronavirus pandemic, click here. Join the Times Group initiative #MaskIndia. Share a picture with your home-made mask on your social handles using #MaskIndia. The best picture will be featured in TOI and on maskindia.com